JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria – JEE Main is an entrance exam that is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). This entrance exam is crucial for candidates who want admissions in engineering colleges as this is an undergraduate engineering entrance test. JEE Main is the doorway for the admissions in prestigious institutions and colleges in India, like 31 NITs (National Institutes of Technology) and 23 CFTIs (Centrally Funded Technical Institutes) for B.E. and BTech courses. Another reason for JEE Main being an important entrance exam is that the candidates who clear JEE Main can appear for jee Advance and then after clearing jee Advance, candidates can get admissions in 23 IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology).
JEE Main is conducted twice a year. In 2020, candidates can appear for jee main in January and April. The ranking of the candidate will be based on the better of the two scores as per the rules and regulations of the authorities. Jee main is conducted in computer-based mode only. There are two papers, Paper-I for B.Tech admissions and Paper-II for B.Arch admissions in jee main.
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria
There are always criteria for exams and jee main is no exception. To apply for jee main, candidates need to satisfy the criteria given below.
There is no age limit for candidates who apply for jee main. But candidates do need to check if there is any age criteria mentioned by the Institutes they are desirous of taking admissions in and should satisfy it.
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination (QE)
- The candidates who have passed their qualifying exam in 2018 or 2019 or the candidates who are appearing for their qualifying exam in 2020 are eligible for jee main 2020.
- Candidates who passed the qualifying exam in 2017 or candidates who will be appearing for the qualifying exam in 2021 or later are not eligible for jee main 2020.
- Candidates who have appeared in jee the main exam conducted in January 2020 are eligible for jee main exam in April 2020.
List of Qualifying Examinations
- The final exam of class 10+2, conducted by any recognized central or state board.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized board or university.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
Number of subjects in the Qualifying Examination
- To be eligible for jee main 2020, candidates must have taken minimum of five subjects in the qualifying exam.
- For B.Arch, candidates must have taken physics, chemistry and mathematics in the qualifying exam.
- The criteria for reservations may change according to different Institutes.
- In the institutes run by the central government, there is 5% reservation for Person with Disability (PWD) as defined in The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act 2016). To know the details about rules and regulations for the reservation for PWD category, candidates are advised to visit the official website of Jee main.
- For the institutes run by central government :
|Category||Percentage of reservation|
|Other Backward Classes of “NonCreamy layer”(OBC-NCL)||27%|
- Candidates are advised to visit the official websites of jee main and the institutes as the criteria may change from time to time.
Number of attempts
- A candidate can appear for jee main for three consecutive years.
- Candidates are advised to visit the official website for jee main as these rules may change.
Important Points To Note:
∆ If a candidate appears for the qualifying exam from one state or country and then applies for the same exam for improvement but from a different state or country, the code of eligibility will be from where the candidate has originally appeared for the qualifying exam.
∆ Candidates who have passed in 2019 and are appearing for improvement in 2020 are eligible.